Monday, January 25, 2010

I saw Her


I saw you the other day walking along the street.
You on one side, me on the other.
You were in a rush and focused on where you were going but
I matched your walk, ...fascinated that it was you...needing to make sure....
Then a light came up and turned red and you had to stop.

Yes,,...it was you.
A little older, a little plumper but the same face
You were going to go forward when the light turned green but at the last minute
you turned and came my way.

You didn't see me at first as your head was down but at the last second, we caught each others eye.

You smiled and I smiled that fake smile X-girlfriends give each other when they know it's going to be tough seeing each other after all these years...
Not sure how to react but not wanting to be rude.

We exchange pleasantries and as we talk I remember how you tasted when we kissed
how we had melded in each other's arms, the life we had shared so long ago...memories flood in...
What a strange experience seeing someone you have shared your life with, intimacy's with, now reduced to this single act of a handshake and polite conversation.

We talk for a little longer and found that awkward space that xlovers do and we say our goodbyes.

As I watch her hustle off to her life....my fingertips touch my lips remembering one more memory.
It's cold today....I pull up my collar and bury myself in my jacket for my walk home.


No comments:

Post a Comment