Monday, January 4, 2010

Broken Heart

You asked me if I knew what I had done

How I pushed the knife deep and cut your heart wide open ....

To bleed...

Pieces of your broken heart falling to the floor.

You asked if I knew the pain I had caused,

that your heart ached and your chest hurt from my knife wound

that you couldn't breathe with out pain.

You asked that I not do this again

What were you thinking, how could you do this to the woman you love?

I fall to the floor in my anguish and panic trying to put the pieces back together...

they fall from my hands as I weep....

For I had caused this, for I had not seen how much you loved me.

I was clouded by my fear, doubt, my selfishness

I knew you were so close to the edge, that I could loss you forever

I saw the pain and love in your eyes and I wept yet again.

I tried to kiss you but my lips only brushed yours as you moved away

I deserved that

my penance for not being love, for not cherishing and embracing you.

I now breathe deeply....

hoping that it's not to late

My mask that I thought protected me was a lie

it kept you out, kept the world out....how could I not see?

I pulled the mask off and I breathe

so much simpler, cleaner

the mask dangles from my hand and I reach down again to the pieces of your heart,

the mask falls to the ground, as I need both hands to gentle place the pieces in my basket

this will take time to repair as I sit at a table and begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment